Thursday, November 12, 2009

Imre Kertész briefly discusses Marai

There's an interview with Nobel laureate Imre Kertész in the German newspaper Die Welt. The interviewer brings up Marai, and Kertész responds:

"... Sandor Marai, whose diaries I think are quite excellent. His novels less so..."

Kertész goes on using the word "Moderne" (modernity) to mean Modernism (which in German is "Modernismus"), and I'm unsure what he means when he applies these terms to Marai. Perhaps a native German speaker can enlighten us?

Read the full interview (in German) here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annika said...

Where can I get a copy of Angel from Heaven (I think it is called) a Marai poem about 1956? ladyjatbay@sbcglobal.net

3/04/2010 2:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are a couple of English translations of that poem around, but they haven't been published, to my knowledge. John Ridland, distinguished poet in his own right and translator of Hungarian poetry (most notably, of Petofi's John the Valiant) has (with my assistance) completed a version, and we are seeking a publication venue.

3/23/2010 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker