Sunday, September 04, 2005

Embers: the Film

Embers was set to start filming in 2004 with legendary director Milos Forman (Amadeus, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) at the helm, but Sean Connery pulled out of negotiations to star as The General and the project is currently adrift. Forman is directing other projects, and it's unclear whether the film will ever get made.



It was set to star some fine actors: Winona Ryder as Krisztina and veteran Austrian actor Klaus Maria Brandauer as aged Konrad. What would a film of Embers be like? I wonder whether a film would focus on the love triangle while losing sight of Marai's observations on history and life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Conquer said...

I'm glad the film fell through. This is an important piece for me and the visualization of it besides anything I have imagined on my own might ruin it!

9/18/2008 1:24 PM  
Blogger Fronimos said...

My english is so bad, i justo wanto to know is the film was finished??? where can i get it?

2/24/2009 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems not.

1/19/2010 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful book. It really made me think about some things in life, and question myself as to what a true meaning of those things is. Love, betrayal, lust, desire, cowardice, infidelity..........everyone should read "Embers". Yes, I do have my own visualization of it, but the film cannot and will not ruin how I imagined the characters. I think the choice of actors is marvelous, and Milos Forman has been absolutely superb in everything he has directed so far. I would love to see the movie;cannot wait.

4/11/2012 8:25 PM  
Blogger Angel (Anjali Suzanne Angel) said...

This film needs little known, strong actors. Ryder would be a Krisztina throwaway--she hasn't the mystique. (How many contemporary non-descript pretty actresses have destroyed the power and depth of Anna Karenina?) The book will sell the film and it is a beautiful literary work which at least deserves the correct ethnic character casting. I can't imagine--refuse to imagine--a Brit playing any of the parts.

7/01/2021 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker