Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Jemery Irons on Embers

In a recent interview with the London Evening Standard, Irons made some observations about taking on the production of Embers:

"I'd been looking for something to do on stage for five years, and then I read a novel by a Hungarian writer called Sandor Marai and loved it..."

"My initial reaction was that I didn't want to play that old - I'm, what, 56, 57 - but there are 24 pages of monologue in the second act; it gets harder to remember lines when you get older. The play is about male friendship, love and betrayal."

"It is the same subject matter as in Brideshead, funnily enough. That male platonic friendship, spanning many years. Male friendship is something that isn't often examined."

Read the whole thing

1 Comments:

Anonymous Hannibal said...

I've read the book and enjoyed Marai's wonderful prose just as much as the philosophical dephts of the novel. Nevertheless there's one thing i just don't get and it is why Konrad doesn`t give an explicit answer to the general.
The novel is narrated in the third person but the crucial incident between the main characters is told just but the general, we see it only through his eyes. Did it really happen? Did it happen as he remembers it? I don't know, just wanted to share my doubts.

2/15/2010 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker